Thursday, March 28, 2013


On a cold Sunday in early February 2013, I met Earl Kallemeyn--a gregarious gentleman and fellow Greenpointer with a deep reverence for typography and printing, namely of the letterpress variety. He's been welcoming me into his print shop on Dobbin street every Saturday morning since our meeting,  a testament to his patience and generosity (I kind of feel like an older, female version of Dennis the Menace). 



In our time at the shop, he's shared dozens of amazing stories and typophilic trivia with me, while still managing to mix in a toolbox full of neat-o technical press wisdom. Thanks to Earl, I've ventured down an intriguing rabbit hole from which I won't likely diverge anytime soon. And thanks to my friendship with this fellow Hollander (in ancestry), I feel like I'm starting to "get" my Dutchness a little more.  Dutchies get type. Ahhhh...the beauty and undeniable weight of the printed word.