Sunday, October 21, 2012

J'aime Apples.  That's the name I gave to my entry into the City Reliquary Bake-Off.  I'm glad it's over because I'm tired of thinking about what happens to apples and butter when you cook them, but also happy to say that I received a silver medal in the Fall-ish category for the small, square apple pastries I constructed. First place went to something pumpkin. I had a bunch of ideas of how I was going to build the perfect apple pie that could be eaten in about two bites, and, in the end, all of my ideas for what these would look like had to to be revised. I got up early today, put on some music, and started peeling apples. It was fun. And after some of the week's preparatory baking experiments, I now have an under-appreciated jar of green flash double stout toffee sauce in the refrigerator searching for the perfect ice cream pairing. The picture below shows a  selection of shapes I was considering.