Wednesday, September 15, 2010

svampplockningen

Last weekend I did something that I have never done: svampplockningen!  Nina and her family kindly invited me to join them for a Saturday of picking chanterelles, trumpet mushrooms, and other varieties in a beautiful forest outside of Stockholm on Lake Mälaren.  

 

After gathering three baskets of mushrooms, very few of which I was able to scout out (mushroom spotting takes years of practice it seems), we set to cleaning them.  This took nearly as long as finding them, and entailed the use of a special pairing knife with a brush on one end.  


The mushrooms were cooked up with some cream, salt, and white pepper on the stove in the tiny kitchen of the lake house,  then served on pieces of toasted bread.  Svamp smörgas (mushroom toast).  It was fantastic.  And I was lucky enough to bring home a big bag of mushrooms to eat for the rest of the week.  I thought of freezing some, but nej.  I opted instead to eat them at every meal. Läckra!


Click here to see the rest of the photos