Monday, September 6, 2010

the 29 km weekend PLUS bok formgivning / book design

Sunday I walked 9 miles. Now add that to the 10 I walked on Saturday, and it will make sense that I need to go to work just to rest my feet!  Saw a magpie, the top of the city from the observatoriet on a hilltop near Sveavagan and dmansgatan, and red geranium petals.
 
Yesterday afternoon at work, Nina conducted a 4-hour lecture (all in Swedish!) for the nearby design school, Konstfack, featuring a disussion about book cover design and presentations by two well-known book designers here in Sweden-- Jens Morgansson and Sara Acedo. On a side note, all of the students like to use chewing tobacco, and set out their tins atop their notebooks to partake during the discussion. Nina, my boss, described Sara to me as Sweden's "Chip Kidd," which was funny, but probably a very accurate description after seeing her work.  It was awesome, inspiring!  I need to do more hand-drawn type because that's what I really loved in her designs--evocative and well-conceived/constructed typography.  I wrapped up my day by spending some time on ideas for book that I am designing all about hand-made gifts.
Here are some of Acedo's covers:


Hej då!